Kalashnikov - legend and curse of a weapon - Mikhail Kalashnikov, AK-47 designer, wrote penitent letter before he died...AOL

MOSCOW (AP) -- Mikhail Kalashnikov, the designer of the AK-47 assault rifle, reportedly wrote a regretful letter several months before his death asking the head of the Russian Orthodox Church if he was to blame for the deaths of those killed by the guns.

The Russian daily Izvestia reported Monday that Kalashnikov, who died last month at 94, wrote to Patriarch Kirill in April and told him he kept asking himself if he's responsible.
"The pain in my soul is unbearable. I keep asking myself the same unsolvable question: If my assault rifle took people's lives that means that I, Mikhail Kalashnikov, ... am responsible for people's deaths," he said in the letter.
"The longer I live, the more often that question gets into my brain, the deeper I go in my thoughts and guesses about why the Almighty allowed humans to have devilish desires of envy, greed and aggression," Kalashnikov continued.
Kalashnikov's daughter, Elena, was quoted by Izvestia as saying that a local priest could have helped her father write the letter, which was typed and carried his signature.
more at http://www.aol.com/article/2014/01/13/mikhail-kalashnikov-ak-47-designer-kalashnikov-wrote-penitent-l/20807043/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facebook Parent Meta Is Preparing to Notify Employees of Large-Scale Layoffs This Week

Corporate Governance - REI CEO resigns after investigation into personal relationship

World's most charitable man ever